Here is where to see Extension at the fair.
4-H building & barns
See the 4-H State Fair website, or use the free "4-H at the Minnesota State Fair" app for event schedules, Arts-In performance times, results, announcements and maps. Find the app by visiting the 4-H State Fair website. The first weekend of the fair is livestock weekend. Highlights below are just a sampling of the many 4-H activities!
- Ongoing: Nearly 6,000 youth participate, showing exhibits, performing in shows and showing livestock. These activities feature the knowledge and skills 4-H'ers have acquired throughout the year. About 2,200 "blue ribbon" kids exhibit livestock in the animal barns.
- Ongoing: Exciting scientific activities to try in the 4-H building include drones used in agriculture and Rube Goldberg machines. Watch "Chef for a day" cooking presentations, offered twice daily.
- Aug. 26, 1:30 p.m.: 4-H beef exhibit, Warner Coliseum
- Aug. 27, 8:30 a.m.: Chicken BBQ Contest , East side of Warner Coliseum
- Aug. 27, 4 p.m.: Poultry competition and crowning of the seventh annual 4-H Poultry Prince and Princess (crowning after last round)
- Aug. 27, 5:45 p.m.: Purple Ribbon auction in the AgStar arena
- Aug. 28, 11 a.m.: Dairy showcase, AgStar Arena
- Aug. 28, 10 a.m. and Sept. 5, 10 a.m.: Gary Wyatt, Extension forestry educator, "Woody vegetation management and control,”
- Aug. 28, 11 a.m. and Sept. 5, 11 a.m.: Gary Wyatt, Extension forestry educator, “Natural foods and decoratives from the woods and backyard,” U of M stage
- Sept. 5, 12 p.m. and 2 p.m.: Gary Wyatt, Extension forestry educator, "Natural foods and decoratives from the woods or backyard," Food stage
- Ongoing: Master Gardener volunteers answer gardening questions 9 a.m.-9 p.m.
- Ongoing: Gardening presentations on The Dirt Stage, including new “Water Wisely” tips to conserve water in your yard and garden
- Aug. 27, 9 a.m.-9 p.m.: Homeowner lawn questions booth
- Aug. 31, 1 p.m.: The Honey Bees program team, including Gary Reuter, Extension entomologist, will show off a "bee beard."
- Sept., 2, 3 p.m.: Low Maintenance Lawn Care at The Dirt Stage
- Ongoing: Master Naturalists answer questions about wildlife in Minnesota, wildlife wing
- Aug. 28, 11 a.m.: Jeff Hahn, Extension entomologist, presents "Pesky insects"
- Aug. 28, 1 p.m.: Gary Reuter, Extension entomologist, "Honey bees, beekeeping and research," DNR stage
- Sept. 2, 11 a.m.: Mark Seeley will broadcast the annual Minnesota Weather Quiz on MPR with host Tom Weber from Carousel Park. Afterwards, Dr. Seeley will chat with Eric Escola and Cathy Wurzer on the tpt Almanac stage.
- Aug. 27, 8 a.m.: Julie Weisenhorn, Extension horticulturist; Eric Watkins, turfgrass scientist, live yard and garden Q&A with callers and audience members, on "Smart Gardens" with host Denny Long
- Sept. 3, 8 a.m.: Mary Meyer, Extension horticulturist, on “Smart Gardens” with host Denny Long